(No longer) skunky SQBK

Unable to get my '71 Squareback to idle properly or to stop backfiring
thru the twin carbs, I dropped my "good" engine (with hydraulic valve lifters)
and put in an older one that had the normal mechanical valve setup.

The older engine idles and runs great!

But, why oh why oh why did my "better" engine run so lousy?

On my hydraulic-valve-lifter engine, I had replaced a head without
installing heavy duty valve springs... which I now remember
came with the head that died. The engine never did run after that,
and I can think of no other uncontrolled variable.

Question:  Would not having heavy duty valve springs on a head
used with the hydraulic valve setup cause an engine to backfire thru
the carbs?

If that is not the cause, then I am still bewildered! Or bemildewed, whatever!

Anybody?

Thanks.

Phil
dillard@suu.edu