Subject: Rear end noise - solution
Author:  type-3-errors@umich.edu at SMTPGATE
Date:    3/24/97 6:32 AM

This morning I fixed the mysterious thunking in the rear of our '71 Sqb.  It
turns out *both* rear axle nuts were loose...:-(  Cost to fix - 2
cotter pins.
I should have checked the simple things before assuming it was the cv joint,
although it was probably smart to replace it anyway, given that all
6 bolts had
backed out.

I'll keep the cv joint I took out as a spare.

Thanks for all the help and advice.  Of course, now that it's fixed, I get to
drive the diesel Rabbit and my wife gets the Squareback again...

Dave