Re: T3 newbie wants advice...

Carl,

  I'd love to tell you that TIII parts are easy to come by, that they are
completely interchangable with Bugs, and that they never rust or have
problems . . . . .but I would be lying. The TIII is however, the nicest
overall effort presented by VW in an air cooled model, whether it is a
Fastback, Squareback (my favorite) or Notch. As for interchangeability, the
1600 engines are nearly identical internally(TIII has more power . . .) as
are the transmissions( TIII has better gearing . . ), and aside from the
cooling system and generator( on a TIII: break a fan belt and you can keep
driving . .   try that in a Bug!!), most external engine parts can be used on
both TIs and TIIIs.
   Body panels are unique to TIIIs, as are many interior parts.(some late
model ['70 and up] TIII parts are interchangeable with late model KG's such
as tail lenses and such). What I can tell you is that anyone can get a 'Bug'
, I've had three so far . . . (here come the letters!), but a TIII is almost
a 'one of a kind' car in a crowd. It took me over 12 years to find the exact
Sqareback I wanted ('71 w/30k original miles, CA  car, 1 owner, etc . .
.needs a little TLC, not ER care!), but it was well worth the wait. If you
can get one for a 'song', I'd start singing, you wont be disappointed by this
Type of VW.
   I'll get off my soap box now, hope this provides some insight.
   Any questions I can help you with, let me know . . . .

Dan
HP2BSQ@AOL.COM
' 71 TIII Squareback