make cookie $ fast, good time T3 make-a-wishers! was: Re: Warning.

At 7:54 AM -0000 3/21/97, wagen@pangea.ca wrote:
>	Hi, I just heard that there is some kind of E-mail virus going around
>entitled "PENPAL GREETINGS". It looks like a harmless message, but as you
>read
>it, it eats away at your hard drive. It also will send a copy of the virus to
>all of the E-mail addresses  you've saved. So if anybody gets a message with
>this title, delete it as soon as possible.

Richard & everyone,

        the only harm that has been done is that Richard has been duped and
zillions of unnecessary email warning messages have been propogated.  The
"penpal" hoax is a variation of the classic "good times" hoax.  For more
information on computer virus myths (including this one), see:

http://www.kumite.com/myths/
http://www.datafellows.com/v-descs/penpal.htm
http://www.mci.com/aboutmci/consumeraffairs/nfr/hoaxes.shtml

        Also of interest is this compendium of both computer and conventional
urban legends:

http://www.urbanlegends.com

        Enjoy--and relax. :)  ...and if the subject doesn't have to do with
T3, it really probably *doesn't* belong here. :)

-Greg
'71 squareback
'63 Beetle

(p.s.:  I have a version of that "$250" cookie recipe that I *really* like!!!)