Re: Steering Wheel

Sounds like the PO removed the steering wheel and screwed things up!  And
yes, the horn could very well be a related problem.  I believe the steering
wheel can be removed and adjusted somewhat by you (I think I did this once
to my baby).  I don't believe it'll be difficult but I'll let someone more
knowledgeable instruct you on the turn signal lever problem.

Fine tuning steering adjustments are made at the rods between the tie rod
ends.  The Bentley gives directions on how to do this.  Basically you just
rotate the rods in opposite directions of each other.  The steering wheel
will rotate one way or another but the road wheels will not move.  A wheel
shop generally can do this if you don't want to.

As for the horn make sure the contacts don't have corrosion on them and the
grounding wire is connected.  If everything at the steering wheel end looks
good, check your fuse for corrosion and check the horn with a continuity tester
or a straight 12v source to make sure it works.  Check the wire that runs down
the inside of the steering column with a continuity check to make sure it's not
damaged.
     Toby Erkson
     air_cooled_nut@pobox.com
     '72 VW Squareback 1.6L bored and stroked to 2.0L
     '75 Porsche 914 stock 1.8L for sale