Re[2]: '71 Squareback front end -- lock plate fix

What a previous mechanic did for my lock plate problem is drill a small
hole in the heat of both bolts and thread a loop of iron core wire thru
them, then tightened the wire.

Drill the hole thru the bolt head on the side where you'd put a wrench; the
hole will run perpendicular to the shank.  See below:
             _____________
            |  |       |  |
            |__|_______|__|     in both bolt heads
                |     |         (drill all the way thru)
                |     |
                |___ _|
                |__ __|
                |_ ___|
                |_____|

The wire will look like a loop, as though you made a real small necklace with
two bolts hanging from it.  Twist the wire together like a twist-tie (like how
you would tie up a garbage sack) and make sure it's pretty snug!  This has
lasted me for *years* and is much more durable than the lock plate in my
opinion.

     Toby Erkson
     air_cooled_nut@pobox.com
     '72 VW Squareback 1.6L bored and stroked to 2.0L
     '75 Porsche 914 stock 1.8L for sale