Re: '71 Squareback front end

Hi,
I had exactly the same problem with a 63 notchback. The vibration
occurred at about 50 miles and stopped around 60. It also depended
on the road surface, smooth bitumen gave less problems than brick
roads. Often a 'bump' would start the vibration. After checking
everything mentioned by the others, and replacing the steering damper
helped a bit, it turned out to be the balljoints. These were simply worn
and had too much play. You could hardly feel any play at the steering
wheel either when driving or standing still. The speed at which the
shimmying or vibration occurs probably relates to wear or adjustment of
other components. Out of ballance wheels in my experience cause a
similar vibration but not just at one speed interval but at several.
Cheers,
Theo