'71 Squareback front end

You might look at tires.  If you are shaking violently you might have
slipped a belt in the tire.  Look for a wear mark almost but not quite
perpendicular to the tread----> \ or / .  If the shake is moderate you
might have just tossed a weight.
        You might also check the tie-rod ends.  Raise the front end.
PLACE ON JACKSTANDS.  Have a friend grab the wheel at 3 and 9 o'clock
and shake back and forth while you watch the tie rod ends.   Watch for
any slop there.
        You could also check the ball joints while your at it.(These
shouldn't cause a shake but will cause uneven wear and pulling)  Have
said friend grab at 12 and 6 o'clock and shake in the same manner. Watch
right at the spindle and the ball joint connection.  Look for slop
there.
      While you are doing the ball joint shake check the bearings.  If
you feel any looseness look at the spindle to rotor hub mating area.  If
you see the rotor hub moving and the spindle is not then you need to
repack or possibly just tighten the front bearings.
        I might add that most larger shops will perform these checks for you for
free in hopes that you will have them do the work.  I think there are Western
Auto's in your part of the country???  They check all of this for free.  You are
not obligated to have them do the work if it needs to be done.

                                Jason Renville
I would rather attempt something great and
Fail than attempt nothing and succeed.

Jason_Renville@ccm.al.intel.com
69 Fastback second owner.

While driving, I noticed that sometimes, the
front end would start to shake very violently.  It occurred around 30
MPH.  I have not done any work to the front end yet, but I believe
(know!!!)  that it is due.  What do I need to check?  I have never done
any work to the front end of a VW before.