Re: Dial Timing Light

James -

> It's been suggested that I get myself a dial timing light that
> lets you dial in the advance.

Never heard of one, don't know what it would be.  Would like to know.

> such as setting the valves on the type3

No sweat, same as on any VW, follow Muir.  .006 all around.
Rotate engine using generator nut or by hand on pully.

> I have not seen a timing light like that.   I'd like to find out
> that I'm perfectly okay with my tach/dwell meter and my timing light,
> and that it doesn't matter that one of the cars is 6volt.
> timing.

A light bulb and wire work fine Muir).  Use a 12 volt bulb and the light
will be dimmer with the 6 volt, but that's it.  After a few of these, you can
learn to do static timing by EAR, without ANY light, meter, or other
dohicky.  (How, oh how, you ask)

The points, as they arc, make a sound.  Listen for it while using a
static timing light, meter whatever.  You can hear the electrical
snap of the contact making or breaking.  Faint sound so you gotta pay
attention.

> synching dual carbs,
Buy a Uni-Syn, less than 20 bucks.  Depending on what carb and air
cleaner set-up you have the following may be different.  I use a
section of PVC pipe that matches the diameter of the rubber ring on
the stock 32PDSIT carbs to reach above the air cleaner attach bolt
above the carb.  Be sure to get a good seal, no leaks.  Follow Muir
for adjustments.

- Jeff
'67 Squareback