Subject: Re: Steering Adjust
Author:  type-3-errors@umich.edu at SMTPGATE
Date:    3/4/97 11:05 PM

     First time it was warm enough to replace 'em last spring, I
borrowed a friend's car port to do the swap.  Guess what?  The axial thrust
rings were just fine.  I just about messed my pants... until I noticed that
the left hand side tapered clamp bolt & the dimple in the torsion bar were
beat to hell.  *That's* where the slop was.  The torsion bar from my bonus
front end was useless (the opposite end corroded away), so I just used a
new set screw & tightened the heck out of it.  After one retightening, it's
been fine.  Later, when I asked a local VW mech. if had any bonus T3 upper
torsion bars in his stash, he said "no, they get all buggered up where that
set screw holds them on the left side."

     Toby--you're getting your axial thrust rings replaced?  Did you
locate new replacements, or are they used?

-Greg
'71 squareback
'63 Beetle