Re: Distress call...

First, some light on temp sensor I (TS1).  The TS1 measures the ambient air
temp entering the engine.  It changes the mixture according to the
temperature and it doesn't seem to be much of a change.  When it goes bad
idle generally gets erratic.  Unplugging the sensor basically tells the FI
brain it's really cold out (infinite resistance, close enough to 1200 ohms
:) to which the FI brain enriches the mixture.  This is a very common
problem with the D-jetronic FI system and Porsche 914 owners have the same
problem.  They all say the same thing:  Disconnect it.

Check --> http://www.estinc.com/HyperNews/get/forums/trouble.html
and review message #5 (and its threads).
"...if you want to test your Temp Sensor I with an ohmmeter, here are the specs
from my Bosch book: At 14 degrees F, resistance should be between 860-1200 ohms;
at 68 degrees F, 260-340 ohms, and at 122 degrees F, 90-130 ohms. Hope that this
helps."

To your initial problem -- when does it stall out?  Only while stopped?  While
driving down the road?  Only uphill?  If there seems to be no rhyme or reason to
it dying check your ignition system (you may have a bad coil).  Also, as with
any electronic device, make sure all of the wiring is good in your FI system (no
exposed wiring, all connectors cleaned and making positive metal-to-metal
contact, etc).
     Toby Erkson
     air_cooled_nut@pobox.com
     '72 VW Squareback 1.6L bored and stroked to 2.0L
     '75 Porsche 914 stock 1.8L for sale