Re: Clutch Cable snapped

>Anyone ever replace this cable? How difficult is it?

Wilson...to be pedantic (sorry, but I'm one of those egg-head librarians)
you snapped an accelerator cable, not a clutch cable.

It really isn't too hard to replace...sometimes annoying, irritating, frustrating...
but not too difficult.  If you're lucky, it will go on in on the first
attempt.

I am trying to remember...it's been a thousand years since I did one... but
I "think" you start from the rear of the car and push the cable frontward
thru a tube.  If I am wrong, (a) 200 people will tell me, and (b) you will
easily figure it out yourself.

A very hard lesson for all of us to learn:  ALWAYS carrry a spare (a) clutch
cable and (b) accelerator cable. They are cheap insurance.

My wife and I were tent-camping way down deep thru Mexico in a Fastback when
I broke a clutch cable. Of course I didn't have a spare (so much for my
cheap advice to all of you!).  We drove back into a very small (one dirt street)
village, found an off-duty "mechanico" at his home (it was a Saturday afternoon) ,
and asked for assistance.  Well, he found a clutch cable for a bug,
but...of course, it wasn't the right length--too short!  He and I lay under
the car on the dirt street in front of his house on that Saturday afternoon
while he worked some of the reknown Mexican legerdemain and made it fit!!!!!

And what did this angel of mercy and master of improvisation charge me
for an hour's work on a dirt street on a Saturday afternoon?  $8.00 American!
Try that in your Mercedes Benz....

Well, my wife and I are headed to Las Vegas this afternoon...and you may be
sure I will have both clutch and accelerator cables (and fan belt...and
about 700 lbs of miscellaneous parts and tools) in my tool kit.

See you on Monday.... unless I break something for which I don't have a spare!

Best...

Phil
dillard@suu.edu