Re: Points for Notch

Jonathan Hirschman wrote:

> Can someone give me the correct part# for points for a '64 Notch?
> Let's assume that the dizzy is stock.
>
> Bill & Steve's sent something that was close, but came with a
> slide-on clip instead of the spade clip that the original had. Plus,
> the wire was a bit on the short side. Still, it seems to fit just
> fine.
>
> My current points are pretty beat. I needed to them down when I did
> my last tune last week...since the replacements wouldn't fit. Car is
> running fine, with the exception of some black smoke at 1500rpm (I'm
> attributing this the beat up points for now).
>
> If all else fails, I can probably just solder in a new wire and
> spade on the "wrong" part, right? Or, are dizzy's really particular
> about which points you drop in?
>
> Thanks!
>
> Jonathan
> *Jonathan Hirschman*
> *****Pathfinder*****
> *Executive Producer*
> *Time Inc New Media*
> *Voice:212-522-4742*
It has been my experience that soldering ignition parts doesn't really
work, and usually doesn't work the worst the farther you are from home.
A wise mechanic once told me: "Next time, buy two and keep one in the
car with your tools. Now pay the man on your way out." Words to live by.
Don't know about your points #, because I got a Pertronix on a 009 (w/
the old points in my tool box ;) ).
David Walters
'73 Notch