Dead ly Serious Fun with Gasoline

Been catching up on the weekend posts.  Took me until Tuesday!

On the subject of gasoline, I saw a notice at one of my local gas
stations that, while not of much direct VW interest, it may be for
those with malfunctioning gas guages, odometers, forgetfull, etc.
(you know, those situations that require getting additional gasoline
into you stranded vehicle, not that I"VE ever had this problem =8-0

There is a real potential for fires caused by filling gas cans while
tha cans are in a plastic bed liner in a truck (I suppose the same
could be true for those newer plastic station wagon liners too).

Apparently the plastic bed liner can attain a sufficient static
electrical potential that the act of filling a gas can placed on the
plastic liner can initiate a spark, and boom, gas fire.

DO NOT FILL GAS CANS IN THE BED OF A TRUCK WITH A
PLASTIC BED LINER

According to the article (no reference to source unfortunately)
23 people have died or been maimed as a direct result of doing this.

For those who may think this is a hoax, I firmly believe that the
scientific reasoning behind this situation is believeable, and it
can't hurt to fill the can on the ground.  Better safe than sorry.

- Jeff
While it may not be a loss to the VW world to lose a few non-VW
trucks, it would be a shame to lose a VW owner in the process ;-) or
a neighboring VW at the gas station!