Re: Just wondering...

Introductions are a fine idea, and I've enjoyed reading those posted so
far.

I'm a writer and editor, working primarily for Japanese publications in
partnership with my wife Dani, who translates. We live on a high ridge
overlooking Prescott, a smallish cowboy town in the central mountains of
Arizona. We moved here from Japan, where I'd lived for about seven
years, and set up our Third Wave electronic cottage. I also expend
energy on music (I play bass) and photography, but car restoration and
club work have pretty much taken over my time for the last year.

My VW history goes back to Ventura, CA in about '81, when the engine
in my Checker station wagon finally blew. Mostly out of ignorance and
unwillingness to get greasy, I'd been neglecting and mistreating it for
a couple of years. It was a tough old car, but I killed it, and as it
was being towed away I determined that I'd get control of this aspect of
my life. I bought the Muir book, a pretty badly chewed-up '65 Type 2
panel and some tools, and started learning. When my second motor
survived its first 5000 miles I felt I'd got somewhere.

About that time I looked over the fence at a friend's house and
discovered a car so bizarre I just had to have it. My friend's German
neighbor had brought it with him when he emigrated to the States -- a
'64 Type 3 Ghia. He'd taken it to Mexico at some point for paint and
interior, then drove it into the ground, leaving it with yellow Tijuana
tuck-and-roll inside, a kind of burned-out bronze outside, and a blown
engine. It'd been parked in the yard for six or seven years. He gave it
up for $200. A couple of months later the Ghia was running and I got rid
of my bus.

It was fun driving it for a couple of years, but I never had the money
or sources to even consider restoring it in those days. Eventually I
decided to take an extended photo trip around the country, so I traded
it for a green '66 Square. I lived in that car for most of a year, and
kept it until I moved to Japan. Great ride.

After seven years without personal transport, my first priority when I
got back was something my wife could drive, so we bought a new Ford. But
I began to get the urge for something with a little style, and that led
me to my '59 Studebaker Silver Hawk, which is a real head-turner, as
they say. It's too nice to be driven every day, however, and my thoughts
wandered back to my Ghia.

I managed to locate it again, and found out that it's still in Ventura,
in more or less the same shape I left it, but the current owner (who has
two!) couldn't be persuaded to part with it. Frustrated, I turned to
Hemmings and happened to find several Ghias for sale. I paid too much
for one I found in Pasadena, but in the process I discovered the Type 34
Registry, and that gave me many of the resources I needed to bring it
back from death by sun cracking. I started stripping it down in
December, and it's going to the paint shop (at last!) in a couple of
days.

Last year I joined the local VW club, and I currently edit its
newsletter and serve on the board. Through this list I found a '64 343
for parts ($100!). I also have another Studebaker on deck for
restoration, and I'm looking around for a good, servicable Westfalia. My
biggest problem at the moment is parking space ....

So, greetings to all, and thanks for your great input.

Steven Ayres, Prescott AZ
Editor, Flat Four Fetish Features
'66 KGhia 1600 in process
'64 KGhia 1500S (parts)