Re: Gas tank

On 06/11/97 13:25:49 you wrote:

>  REGARDING           Gas tank
>
>The  T-3 Experts:
>I recall someone posting a "how to get you gas tank rust proof or  and  anti
>rust procedure anyone  remember of have any recommendation on how to de rust you
>gas tank.  I looked into my tank the other day and  there was rust  I took a
>screw driver and scraped the inside and there is rust.   not enought to  cause
>any major problem.
>
>James

Unfortunately, ANY rust in the tank causes problems.  I fought my original tank for years, it would clog fuel filters within a couple of thousand miles.  Having fuel injection means you have to have absolutely clean gas going to the injectors or you are going to be having some rather large bills for replacements.  I ended up getting a cherry tank from a junk yard, absolutely no rust anywhere.  Now I can go normal amounts of time between replacing filters.  There's some treatments you can get, J.C. Whitney has some mouse-milk stuff that will clean the tank, then you coat it to keep the rust from starting again and getting into the system.  I've not used it, I took my replacement tank to a local radiator repair place who also did coating, they wouldn't do it, said it was in too good a shape.  It was kind of last resort thing, from what I gathered, for collectible vehicles. FWIW.