re: strange engine noise.

parkkj@orion.crd.ge.com (Keith Park) Wrote:

| OK.. Heres one for you engine Guru's
|
| Stock 1600 T3 (rebuilt myself) with 53Kmi on it.
|
| For the last 40K maybe once every month or 2 when started
| cold I get a rapping
| sound. Clack.. clack. clack.. which slowly goes away in
| 20-30 seconds.

If this was a water cooled car I'd have thought, time to adjust the hydraulic
balancer perhaps.

| What I know:
|
| 1) its not a pressure fed bearing as it doesn't go away or
| change when the oil
| press comes up
|
| 2) its not heads as new heads were installed last year
|
| 3) its not serious as its been there once in while for the
| last 40 K or so.
|
| I know its hard without hearing it but any thoughts??
| 1 other note:  the crankshaft gear went on more easily
| than usual when I
| assembled it, wasn't the usual press fit it just slipped
| on and now I have some
| cam gear noise at idle.  could it be related??

Is it possible, that there was some movement between the crankshaft gear and
the crankshaft therefore until it expands due to heat the gear doesn't fit
perfectly and is causing the noise.  Therefore the timing is slightly out and
causing something else to hit before it gets warm.  Does it run smoothly once
started or only after the noise has gone away?

Just a thought.

Regards,

Wayne
'72 Notch