Fuel injection

I appoligize for the lack of Type III content of this message.

My supervisor at work has a 1989 Jetta with a Digifant II fuel injection
system.  His problem is the car will not start.  He says that the car
was hard to start, and over time (about one week), it got to the point
where it would not start at all.  He is getting a spark to the plugs,
but no start-up.  Before the non-start problem got really bad, he also
had an idle problem.  The engine would rev up to around 2000 rpm, and
then fall back almost to stopping, and oscillate like this.  If any
assistance can be obtained form the this collective, he would very much
like to know, and it's not too bad for me to get the brownie points also
:-)