How "bad" is rusted-out windshield sill?

I know this qualifies as "bad rust" but I am really
bummed after discovering what was under my windshield.
Or more precisely, what was not under my windshield, which
is metal, or rust as it were.

It's rusted through real bad.  I can't be excited about
how nice it is to have a new windshield because this seems
like a tragedy, or a catastrophe.  I *knew* there had to
be rust *somewhere*.  FOUND IT!!

I know enough to realize that the correct fix is to find
a donor car and cut that piece of metal off of it.  BUT,
this is a 1996 type3 VW.  For one thing, I've never seen
another one, even at a 'salvage' yard, and I'm sure that
this rust will be pretty much the same on any such car.

I'm looking for advice, since lots of you have dealt with this
exact situation!

Thanks and regards,

James

--