Re: Looking for a type 3 fastback...

If I'm not mistaken, maybe I am, I thought that fastbacks went on sale in
1966.  Maybe, maybe not.  Anyway, the car should be capable of heat if it
has heater boxes (the switches should be between the front seats on the
floor).  As for the bondo, there are two types of bondo fixes:  ding and
surface rust repair (OK in my book), and structural and major cosmetic
reworking (bad news).  The latter comes from huge rust holes being
covered in chicken wire and bondo (or some other completeley offensive
means of repair), or huge dents from accidents being bulldozed over with
mud (bondo).  If this is the case, play REAL hardball if you really want
the car.  Replacing the fenders on a type3 is actually a cake job, and
used steel (junkyard), or fiberglass parts (Innovations in Fiberglass)
are readily available.  As for $2000 for a car with no interior, no heat,
and questionable body (hopefully the pan's not shot), go to his house
with a grand cash, in those new $100 bills, and tell him why you think the
car is worth that.  Have a pen in hand to sign the puppy over.  My bet is
the guy will bite.  If you're really serious have another $250 extra to
haggle with in your pockeet just in case.  Anyway, without seeing the car
I wouldn't go over $1250, because I have seen REALLY solid cars for sale
for $2000.  Good luck in your search for your dream car, because everyone
here has the same dream, too.

Kenik Hassel
71 fastback