Re: Fastback marketing -- nope, aerodynamics class!

Cooper N. Melton wrote:

> On Thu, 31 Jul 1997, Toby Erkson wrote:
>
> > That ends today's lesson on automotive aerodynamics.  I hope you took notes
> > because tomorrow we'll talk about installing instant 20,000hp into your Type III
> > and completely solving you heating problems with our engine of the week:  the
> > DC-10 gas turbine!
>
> As long as that DC-10 turbine doesn't fall off!  ;)   I actually read
> about a guy who somehow fastened a booster rocket onto the back of his '72
> Impala or whatever Generican car it was.  He fired it up and got up to
> like 300 mph (at least!),
> lost control entirely (didn't he even consider these things?) and slammed
> into a cliff face, killing him instantly.
>
> ...So, who's up for a little DC-10 conversion?
>
> Cooper
>
> Cooper N. Melton, Esq.
> University of Virginia
> School of Architecture
> coop@virginia.edu
> http://palladio.arch.virginia.edu/~cnm4x
> _________________________
You know what, I just read an article about these guys in California
that have been taking Honda CRX's and wedging in Acura V-TEC 1.8 L
motors in them, supercharging them, and then hooking them up to NO2. The
1.8 motor puts out something in the area of 400 HP, but has no torque to
speak of. Lightning fast on the 1/4 mile, but the thing is when
launching, the fuel pumps tend to not be able to keep up with the fuel
demand and shuts off. This dumps pure NO2 into the motor, which
instantly goes to 30,000 RPM for an instant before detonating. This one
kid they interviewed was on his like third engine (at $8,000 a pop), and
was looking for a way to keep it from happening again. Oh, to be young
and stupid all over again!
David Walters
'73 1.6 L (60+ HP!) Notch
S. FL, USA