re: where there's smoke...

On 29 Jul 97, Cooper N. Melton wrote:

> The one with the shorted wire coming out of it is the medium-size
> mama box.  It has a rounded top to it, and like the baby box, is
> mounted to the forward part of the seat frame.  My questions are:
> -what is this, is it likely i need to replace it, where can i find
> them, and what should i know about wiring, splicing and all that?

That is the FI main power relay.  If your T3 is still FI them you
need it and all its wiring.  The relay is probably fine.  You need to
figure out why it burned, then fix both the problem and the symptom
(the charred wire.)

Which wire was it?  Did it burn because it chafed through the
insulation right there, or is the insulation all wrinkled along its
whole length indicating that a short somewhere else caused so much
current to flow through it that it overheated?

Jim
       jadney@vwtype3.org              jadney@vwtype3.org
                             Laura Kepner-Adney
                             Madison, Wisconsin