Re: Yet Another Timing Question - FI

On 24 Jul 97, MNWebb@aol.com wrote:

> OK - 69' Square, 1600 FI. The case is universal and I don't know
> what year. Because I don't know the year I don't know where it
> should be timed. Can I just use the oil Static timing Light method?
> this is how I did it in the past but it seems to be running hot. Any
> ideas?? What else may be causing her (yes, her name is Dolly) to be
> running hot, bad oil cooler?

On a 69, there should be 4 notches in the pulley: one large one to
the left and three smaller ones closer together to the right.  If
this is what you have, time to the large left notch.  Static timing
will work in a pinch, but a timing light is more accurate.  If your
pulley has different notches, write back with a description.

> Oh - I looked and looked but didn't find an engine number...yet.

If your case has been replaced with a Universal case then there will
probably not be a number on it.  On FI engines the number is written
front to back just to the right of the seam and near the back of the
case.

Jim
       jadney@vwtype3.org              jadney@vwtype3.org
                             Laura Kepner-Adney