Re: 6v to 12v 1966? (choke interchange and fuel sender repair)

On 26 Jul 97, JonesVWs@aol.com wrote:

> BTW, the fuel gage senders for the 6v and 12v are interchangeable.
> I've been running the 6v sender from my '64 notch in the '67 square
> for almost 2 years with no problems. The gages themselves won't
> interchange, but the senders are identical inside...you just have to
> learn to ignore the "6V" printed on the top of the sender :-)

Yes, I was wrong about this in my previous post.  The unit I found in
the basement was a beetle sender (anyone need one?) and it had no
voltage marking.  I assume that the T3s don't either, but I haven't
checked directly.

> PS: The type 3 fuel senders seem to fail due to the a loose thru
> rivet connection at the spade terminal on top. Many can be brought
> back to life by carefully "swaging" over the rivet while supporting
> the opposite rivet end (the float tube casing must be removed and
> you must be careful not to break the wires). I've brought 3 units
> back to life this way, with only one broken wire casualty :-)

I've seen one of these failures.  Can't remember if I reset the rivet
or did something else.  I may have actually soldered it.  If the
plastic insulator would take it that would make an excellent, and
permanent, fix.

Jim
       jadney@vwtype3.org              jadney@vwtype3.org
                             Laura Kepner-Adney