Re: inspection failure (Texas)

James L. McGill wrote:

> Well I took the '66 squareback to the inspector on my street.
>
> He told me right away that the horn sounded "muffled" (6 volt
> vw horn  -- do they always sound weak, or do I need to fix something?)
> and that he would fail it.  (He also said TWICE that it was a
> "safety AND  EMMISSIONS" inspection.  I had asked for a "safety"
> inspection when I pulled up, he said that, and I then said
> "It's a 1966 volkswagen" and he [cluelessly] said "safety and
> emmissions"... To that I replied, "well if you want to measure
> the CO I'd like you to, because the info would be useful"
>
> (for those of you who don't know, '66 and waaay after are
> exempt in texas).
>
> Anyway, I said, in my most cynical voice, "Never mind, I'll
> go to somebody who's ever seen a volkswagen before" and
> took off.   I'll follow up with a letter explaining how
> even though I'm a close neighbor with 3 cars, I'll go elsewhere
> from now on because of the rude staff there..."
>
> Another thing that I am legitimately worried about, is that
> when I pull the headlight switch to
> the "parking light" position, the front amber lights come on
> but when I put the headlights on, the amber lights go off
> (headlights do work)
>
> Is this wrong?  I believe it must be.  What's broken?  (The expensive
> 6v headlight relay?)  Remember -the lights do work at 1/2way out on the
> switch.
>
> Ok, well, thanks.
>
> --
> g-r-a-t-e-f-u-l-l-y---[   email:<fishbowl@conservatory.com>   ]---l-i-v-i-n-g
> d-e-a-d-i-c-a-t-e-d---[     http://www.conservatory.com/      ]-----l-i-g-h-t
> Nietzsche is pietzsche, but Schiller is killer, and Goethe is moethe.

James,
	In Oregon '66 doesn't need anything other than registration and
insurance!  That said, when I bought the car, only the high beams worked
and the brakes required a couple pumps.  Safety inspections are a good
idea no matter the age IMHO.
	RE: the front "parking lights" going off with headlights.
This is 100% factory stock for that year.  I went through this discovery
on my square this winter.  My car is now no longer factory stock!
	If you want to monkey around down there, here's what you need to know.
All the wiring diagrams that I've seen (I have 4 different T3 manuals)
show the '65 (per Clymer manual) wires for "6v 62-66".  So, this shows
the corner lamps and using the #1 fuse, but on my '66 they are really on
the #7.  On your switch, the #7 fuse is attached with a double lead at
"56" to the dash indicator light (green) that shuts off with the
headlights!  What I did was move the #7 wire to the "58" terminal that
supplies power for the tail lights.  Walla!

Sincerely,
Peter Parker
'66 Square; Phillip
Portland, OR USA