inspection failure (Texas)

Well I took the '66 squareback to the inspector on my street.

He told me right away that the horn sounded "muffled" (6 volt
vw horn  -- do they always sound weak, or do I need to fix something?)
and that he would fail it.  (He also said TWICE that it was a
"safety AND  EMMISSIONS" inspection.  I had asked for a "safety"
inspection when I pulled up, he said that, and I then said
"It's a 1966 volkswagen" and he [cluelessly] said "safety and
emmissions"... To that I replied, "well if you want to measure
the CO I'd like you to, because the info would be useful"

(for those of you who don't know, '66 and waaay after are
exempt in texas).

Anyway, I said, in my most cynical voice, "Never mind, I'll
go to somebody who's ever seen a volkswagen before" and
took off.   I'll follow up with a letter explaining how
even though I'm a close neighbor with 3 cars, I'll go elsewhere
from now on because of the rude staff there..."

Another thing that I am legitimately worried about, is that
when I pull the headlight switch to
the "parking light" position, the front amber lights come on
but when I put the headlights on, the amber lights go off
(headlights do work)

Is this wrong?  I believe it must be.  What's broken?  (The expensive
6v headlight relay?)  Remember -the lights do work at 1/2way out on the
switch.

Ok, well, thanks.

--
g-r-a-t-e-f-u-l-l-y---[   email:<fishbowl@conservatory.com>   ]---l-i-v-i-n-g