Re: Voltage Regulator Connections

On 23 Jul 97, Ginger D.&Peter P. wrote:

> Over the last month there has been an intermitant
> starting problem.  Sometimes it will just turn over.
> My trouble light isn't working, so tonight I've been trying  to
> bypass the ignition to insure power at the coil.  Which lead on the
> regulator will give the right kind of juice?  I got smoke and sparks
> the first time!  I hope everything is alright back there.  After the
> smoky start a closer look with flashlight revealed that I had used
> "D+" (same letter on Generator!), then when I tried the others (B+)
> I got small sparks and loud clicking at the coil when reattaching
> the battery ground.  I havn't dared continue further...

You can run a wire from the B+ V reg term or the + battery post to
the + terminal on the coil.

However it would be more useful to just check to make sure that with
the key on you have juice to the coil.  To do this just ground one
end of a wire and quickly brush the other end against the + coil
terminal.  You should get sparks.

Of course the better way would be to fix your trouble light or buy a
cheap VOM/DVM.

Once you get power to your coil, you can test the ignition by pulling
the center wire out of the distributor cap and laying the end near a
metal surface.  Then get someone else to crank the engine with the
starter while you watch the end of that wire.  If you see sparks
there them your ignition is working.

Jim
       jadney@vwtype3.org              jadney@vwtype3.org
                             Laura Kepner-Adney