Re: Another electrical

On 24 Jul 97, rlgreen wrote:

> I have another question for those who would like to answer.
> I have been removing guages, speedo and restoring them.  I pulled
> the clock last night and found some crazy wiring.  I have the bently
> book and tried to trace my wiring schematic but it does not match.
> My car is a 69sb.  The wiring for the clock is similar to the 70'
> schematic but not quite.  I am having problems folling brown ground
> wires.  In the #31 position I have 3 wires attached the book shows
> only 1 for 69 but 2 for 70.  Wiper motor has 1 incoming and 1 to
> ground.  My clock connects to the wiper motor and then to ground.
> It is a facorty double connector. For 69 the book shows no brown
> wire that connect the clock.

The short answer is don't worry about it; it doesn't matter how the
grounds are strung as long as each ground lug gets connected to a
wire that eventually goes to ground.

The long answer is twofold.  In the first place '69 was the first
year that VW started the practice of actually putting grounds on all
the pieces and not just expecting the attaching bolts or clips to do
the job.  It is quite possible that they changed their minds about
the routing a few times during that year without anybody really
noticing.

I believe the Bentley manual shows the 68-9 cars with the same
schematic.  Since 68s did not have the ground wires, this might be
misleading to people with an eye for detail.

The second part is that your car has been through a lot in 28 years.
There's little reason to expect that the wires are still in the
factory installed position.

As a possibly interesting aside, did you know that the only
differences between the 68 and 69 front and rear turn signal housings
is the fact that the 69s have a ground lug.

Jim
       jadney@vwtype3.org              jadney@vwtype3.org
                             Laura Kepner-Adney
                             Madison, Wisconsin