T3 Auto Trans and Hi-Performance Engines

Fellow T3ers,

My '71 Fastback has an automatic in it, which I would like to keep, but I would
like a few more ponies under the decklid.  What has been your experience with
this trans?  How much horsepower can it handle and still live?  Are there any
modifications that can be made for added strength and durability, like on the
standard?  Any advice would be appreciated.  What about upright engines in T3s?