Re: another cooling tin question

On  9 Jul 97, Ray Peterson wrote:

> For what it is worth, When I rebuilt my motor for my '66, there was
> a piece of tin that went under the cooler (between the cooler and
> cylinders). By the shape of it though, I can't think of how it would
> effect the cooling, it acted more like a washer for the two cooler
> bolts.

Reading this again and thinking about it I realized that there
actually was a very small piece there on the early cars.  It was
about 3/4" x 3" and had two ears that the two bolts passed through.
I have never found one of these on an engine that had previously been
rebuilt by anyone but me.  I do know that they were there originally,
but they have all been left off and lost.  I may still have one NOS,
but it is not for sale.  They became NLA in the 70s.

In addition, early cars (-69) have 3 thick washers between the block
and the oil cooler.  Late type IIIs (70-) have none.  Very early (??)
engines have a different arrangement with a two-piece cooler and
stand.

It was a bugger because if you forgot it, you had to pull the
> cylinders to get the bolts through the engine block bracket from the
> underside. Now guess how I found this out?  :-)

Too bad you had to learn the same way the rest of us did.  When I
start to get close to that point in an engine assembly, I now insert
the 2 bolts from below and hold them in place with a bit of masking
tape wrapped around both shanks.  This gets torn off before I install
the oil cooler, but AFTER the P/Cs and heads are in place.

Jim
       jadney@vwtype3.org              jadney@vwtype3.org
                             Laura Kepner-Adney
                             Madison, Wisconsin