Subject: Re: Window rubber preservative?
Author:  type-3-errors@umich.edu at SMTPGATE
Date:    7/10/97 9:01 PM

On 10 Jul 97, Todd Hanson wrote:

>      >>It is definitely worthwhile to preserve your old ones.  The
>      best >>start is to never use them as arm rests.  Super glue
>      actually does a >>very good job of gluing rubber, but make sure
>      you don't glue the >>rubber to the glass!
>
>      What can I use to spray or wipe on the door and window rubber
>      to help preserve it? I am sure that Amour All would hurt more
>      than help. How about Clear Guard? There must be a penetrating
>      oil or other type of liquid that could help keep the window
>      rubber from cracking. Thanks for your suggestions.

All I can add to the comments above is the fact that UV and high
temperatures will slowly damage rubber, so keeping it stored out of
the sun is helpful.

Sorry, but there is no magic potion.  Just like aging skin cremes,
however, "cures" for old rubber will continue to sell.

 Jim
       jadney@vwtype3.org              jadney@vwtype3.org
                             Laura Kepner-Adney
                             Madison, Wisconsin