Re: air cooling tin question

On 10 Jul 97, Carlson Bryan J wrote:

> I appreciate the responses thus for, but I have only one concern.
> The oil cooler that I have has a bit of foam wrapped around the
> outside edges, and one of these edges is quite close to the cylinger
> bank.  My question is: will the heat from the cylinder melt or catch
> fire to the foam?  I remember Jim A. suggesting a month ago or so
> replacing the foam with a more sturdy noeprene.  Thanks, Bryan

Yes, I wanted to replace the OE foam which was falling apart except
where it was already completely gone.

I bought the right thickness of polyurethane foam at a local
upholstery shop and tested it by sprinkling oil on parts of it
and putting it in a toaster oven for a few hours to see what effect
it might have.  I probably used a temp of 250-300 F.  There was no
effect. I have several engines on the road that have this foam in
them and there is no apparent deterioration so far.   Remember, the
foam stops at the middle of the end.

the main reason for the foam is to keep air from leaking across the
top and escaping without cooling anything.  I glue it in place with
gasket compound; my favorite is Gas-ga-cinch.

Jim
       jadney@vwtype3.org              jadney@vwtype3.org
                             Laura Kepner-Adney
                             Madison, Wisconsin