Re. Self-adjusting rear brakes

On 9 Jun 1997 Adriaan Loedolff <ADRIAAN@norton.ctech.ac.za> wrote:
>I was going through my Haynes manual as well as some T3 literature
>over the weekend and I came across a reference to self-adjusting rear
>brakes on a T3. Apparantly they were installed on some 1973 models
>just before production stopped.
>Has anyone ever seen or worked on these? What, appart from the
>adjusting machanism makes it different from ordanary T3 rear brakes?

I wondered if this could have been an option for various countries. Like the
self-adjusting drum brakes (option code M86) for Swedish Beetles. But H.-G.
Mayer-Stein's 'Die grossen VW. Nordhoffs Vermaechtnis: VW 1500/1600,
411/412' (Karlsruhe: Verlag Karl Goerner, 1994. ISBN 3-9803665-0-2.) does
not list such an option for the type 3. Could well have been the same
mechanism, of course.
How about it Adriaan, did you already find out more about them in the
goldmine of manuals you found?
Anyone else?

Hanno Spoelstra <H.L.Spoelstra@WbMt.TUDelft.NL>
Bloemendaal, The Netherlands