Re: Dead brakes

On  6 Jul 97, VWMAN18@aol.com wrote:

>  I need your help.  Today as I was driving home from school, my
>  brakes went out.  I went to stop and the pedal went all the way to
>  the floor.  After pumping it, the pressure returned.  I have a full
>  reservoir, and there appears to be no leaks anywhere.  I just
>  replaced the wheel cylinders in the rear and shoes and pads were
>  replaced too.  I don't know what it is.  Is my master cylinder
>  going?

Did the pedal really go ALL the way to the way to the floor?
Probably not, since both cars you mentioned have tandem master
cylinders.  One thing you should check is whether any of the brakes
get really hot when you have been driving a couple of miles.  Just
reach your hand in and carefully touch the drum or disk of each
wheel.

If you have s shoe adjusted too tight it will drag and can get hot
enough to boil the fluid.  A frozen caliper can do the same.

Once the fluid is boiled the vapors are compressible and the
hydraulic system is useless.until they recondense.

And then there are other possibilities....

Jim
       jadney@vwtype3.org              jadney@vwtype3.org
                             Laura Kepner-Adney
                             Madison, Wisconsin