My moment of glory (shameless self-promotion)

Boyd's fascinating product that puts you/your car on a magazine cover
reminds me of my one (and only--sigh!) moment of glory that came from having
one of my VWs featured in a national magazine...VW Trends.

Yes, I know, I know, it is shameless self-promotion, but, hey, fame
and glory are scarce commodities in some of our lives. And, besides,
some of us, being college professors, don't even have lives!  So, with no
scruples or shame at all, I will boast of my singular honor...

The date was sometime in the mid-1980s.  (I have lost my copy of the
magazine, so I can't be more specific than that.) I got a full two-page
spread (with pictures!) of me and my T3 square.  In VW Trends!  Was I proud?
Oh, yeah!

If anyone is interested in reading that article, it was in the
monthly column: "Pile of the Month."

Yes, in a fitting recognition of the condition and appearance of my T3,
it was honored as the "pile of the month," a label that truly conveyed
everything that could be said of the vehicle.  The article noted some
customized features as the rust on the roof that would be soon eaten thru to become
a sunroof, and the functional yet attractive accessories such as the
chrome-plated tow chain used when going uphill. As for other accessories, the
article noted that my squareback had a place for a radio, a place for a gear
shift knob, a place for carpet, and a place for wiper blades. And there
were ample comments on the fuel rejection system and the killer 800cc engine...

Well, there were many more unique features noted about my T3, but to repeat
the entire article here would be just too much boasting...

Was I proud to be the owner of the "Pile of the Month?"  Oh yeah!

My motto is:  If you got it, flaunt it!

BTW, if somebody finds that article, I would like to have a xerox copy since
my issue of the mag is gone (my wife probably burned it!).

So, that is my shameless self-promotion about my moment of nation-wide honor and glory.

Now, who is next?  Forget your modest inclinations and tell us about your
moment(s) of glory.

Best...

Phil
dillard@suu.edu