propane (long) (was: Coal burning Beetle)

>At 10:14 PM 7/1/97 -0700, you wrote:
>>VW Addict wrote:
>>> There were also wood and natural gas powered VWs in the mid-late 40's.
>>> just goes to show you what a VW is capable of.
>>I'm curious what would be involved in converting a VW to natural gas or
>>propane.  I'm not interested in undertaking this myself, it just strikes
>>me as the kind of kit that would appeal a lot to people trying to nurse
>>old cars past emission standards.
>>Cheers,
>>Sean.

>At 07:05 AM 7/2/97 -0600, Boyd Drew wrote:
>sean,
>not a bad idea, Im not sure exactly what it would entail, i think its the
addition of a tank, regulator, and different carburetor, or carburetor kit.
I know several years ago you could go to your local gas company (natural
gas/propane) and they could give you loads of information on the conversion.
I would assume that this would still be true.
>Good Luck, and if you do it, let all of us know how ot works out !
>Regards,
>Drew

Cars running on wood or coal was quite common during WW-2 (as far as there
were cars running in civilian hands). The wood/coal was gasified in a sort
of stove, and the gas fed into the carburettor. Another option was to mount
a sort of "zeppelin" on your roof filled with natural gas. After the war,
these methods were quickly dispensed because they were all very cumbersome.
In the 1970s LPG (Liquefied petroleum gas = propane + butane) became quite
popular in various countries in Europe, notably Italy and the Netherlands.
It is also available in countries such as Australia and Canada. While LPG
became popular largely because it was cheap, goverments have since
discovered LPG as a very environmentally friendly fuel. For example, the
city of Athens (Greece) had all of its taxi cabs converted to run on LPG to
bring down the levels of exhaust gasses.
Modern LPG systems use direct injection and are controlled by the standard
engine management system, proving a good, clean and smooth running engine.
LPG is here to stay and will (have to) be used more in the future.

Hanno Spoelstra <H.L.Spoelstra@WbMt.TUDelft.NL>
Bloemendaal, The Netherlands
(running his '71 Bug on LPG and I loving it)

For more info see: http://www.wps.com/LPG/index.html

And read e-mails like: