Rear tire size?

>From: Dc311vw@aol.com

>Hey all!  I need a little advice about what size tires I should be putting on
>the rear of my ' 70 Squareback.  I've lowered the rear 2 notches and
>installed EMPI lowered shocks.  Right now I have 145-15's on the stock 4 1/2
>inch rims but I heard that this isn't a good tire for the rear end.  I was
>thinking about putting on some 195-50-15's but am curious about hitting
>fender.  I am planning on getting some 8-spoked rims soon and I know they are
>5 1/2 inches wide, so will I have a problem hitting the rear fender with this
>set up?  Thanks for any adivce!

145s are a bit small for the car and for the OE rims.  The OE rims were
4-1/2J15 w/42 mm offset.  This is not the same offset as a beetle, although
I believe one year of Ghia used it.

The original tires were 6.00 x 15L bias ply with an option for 165SR15 that
started about the time your car was new.  I have had 185SR15s on OEM wheels
in the rear and the outside of the tire clears the inside of the lip of the
fender by about 1 cm or a little less.  This is about the largest size that
you should consider putting on 4-1/2" rims.  I think any other rims that you
find will have less offset, increasing the track and giving you less clearance.

Does anyone else have more data on what offsets are available in rims?  I'm
just guessing based on the fact that beetle rims all have less offset.

Jim
       jadney@vwtype3.org              jadney@vwtype3.org
                             Laura Kepner-Adney
                             Madison, Wisconsin