Rear tire size?

Hey all!  I need a little advice about what size tires I should be putting on
the rear of my ' 70 Squareback.  I've lowered the rear 2 notches and
installed EMPI lowered shocks.  Right now I have 145-15's on the stock 4 1/2
inch rims but I heard that this isn't a good tire for the rear end.  I was
thinking about putting on some 195-50-15's but am curious about hitting
fender.  I am planning on getting some 8-spoked rims soon and I know they are
5 1/2 inches wide, so will I have a problem hitting the rear fender with this
set up?  Thanks for any adivce!

Derrick
' 70 Squareback
' 61 Ragtop