Re: U.S. intro

Hanson, Todd wrote:

>      >>>Thanks.  Type IIIs were oficially imported into the US 68-73, and
>      >>>all of these were FI.  These were also the only years that the FI
>      >>>existed.  Does anyone else know what years they were oficially
>      >>>imported into Canada.  I had always been led to believe that
>      >>>earlier carbed Type IIIs were imported into Canada.  Anyone know
>      >>>for sure?
>
>      The T-3 FB was introduced to the U.S. in 1966 - dual carbs, 6V
>      (although 12V was an option). Mine was purchased new in my home town
>      from the dealer. I am the second owner.

T-3's were imported into the US from '62 - '73 (model years).  But not
all models.

The Square was the only T-3 "Officially" imported to the US from '62
when VW introduced them.  The Fastback joined in 1966.  The Notch
('62-'73)and T-34 Ghia ('62-'69) were never "Officially" imported.

"Officially" means that US VW dealerships going through normal channels
did not carry them, but some resourceful dealers brought them in to sell
by their own means.  Some arrived by way of Canada or Mexico or by way
of private owners purchasing them and shipping them home to the States.
(Some travel agencies promoted that it was cheaper to travel to Germany,
Buy a NEW VW, travel in it around Europe and ship it home than renting a
car or traveling by train.)  This is what is called "Gray Market".  Not
at all Black Market, but not quite White Market (VW Imported).

Canada got all years, AND ALL MODELS (dammit). From '62 - '73, Square,
Notch, Ghia and Fast.

Yes, they came with Single, Dual Carb, and later Fuel injection
(possibly an option in other countries, FI stock in US from '68-'73 no
option).

OK?

ok.

Big Al