reversing light speedometer switch

>From: Aaron Britcher <abritcher@ezinet.com.au>

>As I have reversing lights on my 'S' I had the brainy idea of actually
>connecting them up the other day so I was wondering if anybody out there
>has a genuine VW or for VW switch thingy that goes on the back of the
>speedometer and turns the lights on when the cable turns backwards? No I
>don't want to have a normal switch or pull the gearbox and change the
>nose cone for a later model reverse light switch unit. I am only after
>one of those cool switch's. Any body out there?

So "reversing lights" is Aussy for what the US calls "backup lights?"
Interesting.  I've never heard of such a switch, and it's not on the
microfilm, but I'd love to hear a confirmation from someone else.

The tranny-mounted switch is really not hard to install.  Doesn't yours have
a screw-in plug in that hole already?  If you go that route be prepared for
an oil bath: the fluid level is above the switch!

Jim
       jadney@vwtype3.org              jadney@vwtype3.org
                             Laura Kepner-Adney
                             Madison, Wisconsin