Re[2]: stock window rubbers et al.

An upright motor in a T3???  By what you are describing in your message it
sounds like you use the car on the track and not the street.

Where do the tires rub?  Since you said you raised your tranny I'm assuming
you lowered the ride height, correct?  So, your tires are probably rubbing
on the top inside part of the fender (i.e. you can't fit a finger between
the tire wall and the fender panel)?  Thus you may have your ride lowered
too much and/or you have wider than stock tires out back.  Reduce the tire
width by one size and see if that helps.  Need more data.

"...won't go on the whole way." -- does this mean the brake pads don't
firmly press against the drum?  If so, since the axles are shorter you
probably need to shorten the e-brake cables since you'll now have more
slack.  If it's a hydraulic problem ya got me.  If you mean that the drum
itself won't attach to the hub I still don't know since I have composite
drums (for now ;) and I can't see where there would be a problem -- I
understand how non-composite drums could have a problem but there are
others who are more knowledgeable than I.

Disc brakes (in the rear I'm assuming?) should work but you'll be
installing a kit or doing a custom job (I'm assuming you'd do a custom
job).  The kits I've seen generally cost too much for me and the less
expensive ones don't have an emergency brake (stupiiiid!!).  You don't want
to use an inline brake lock on the hydraulic system to act as an e-brake.
They are used only for short periods of time for drag racing to hold the
vehicle.  I have see two articles where Porsche 914 rear disc brakes have
been used and that looks like the way I will eventually go (maybe use T3
calipers in the rear, haven't done enough R&D :)  Parts are readily
available for the 914s, including racing applications.

It may have been less expensive to have had the fenders flared...
     Toby Erkson
     air_cooled_nut@pobox.com
     '72 VW Squareback 1.6L modified to 2.0L
     '75 Porsche 914 stock 1.8L