Re[4]: Leaking Windshields -- disagree!

Sorry, but I have to disagree until there is more substantial proof because
it doesn't make sense (I believe the dipping -- Porsche had been doing it
also).  You don't put seals on a wet paint job.  For one thing, just by
removing the seals you would see a paint ridge, or joint if you will, from
where the seal and body met.  Also, applying the seal would force the paint
from the seal and body -- holes certainly wouldn't be needed!  There would
also be paint adhered to the seal and if not adhered then many paint flakes
when separating the seal from the body.  More than likely there would be
dried paint drops inside these holes.  Painting over the seal AND glass
would be a no-no (duh) and masking everything would cost more than it's
worth, either by some tape-like covering or a chemical like petroleum
jelly.

If I were to take a wild guess the holes would be for either seal
positioning (that is the holes designate placement of the seal, in this
case in the lower corners inside the body) or, and this is way out there,
for material stress relief since the seal must tightly seal against the
body at the corners (the holes insure that there is no material bunching up
against itself).
     Toby Erkson
     air_cooled_nut@pobox.com
     '72 VW Squareback 1.6L modified to 2.0L