Seat belt cleaning

>From: Toby Erkson <Toby_Erkson@ccm2.hf.intel.com>

<details snipped>

It is also possible to completely remove the belt from the retractor
assembly.  If you do this it is less hassle to wash the belt while keeping
the retractor dry.

>Once dry I *carefully* removed the spring-side cover (look at the two
>plastic covers on the retractor assembly, the spring-side is the thinner
>one) and sprayed a silicon lubricant onto the wound spring (although, do
>you think I should've used a graphite compound, like what's used in key
>tumblers?).  On the passenger side I wrapped the spring around one turn to
>increase the pull -- the driver's side was as tight as it would go.
>Replace the cover, remove the channel lock and let the belt wind itself
>home.  Done and clean!

Silicone is a poor metal to metal lubricant, but I have not had any better
luck with anything I have tried.  I haven't tried graphite, but I also
wanted something that would prevent rusting so I tried LPS-3; that seems to
be a little too "stickey."  If anyone comes up with a good solution to this
I'd love to hear it.  I have been meaning to stop in a clock shop somewhere
and find out what they use on mainsprings.

Jim
       jadney@vwtype3.org              jadney@vwtype3.org
                             Laura Kepner-Adney
                             Madison, Wisconsin