Re: Leaking Windshields

Woolston Craig wrote:

> I just installed a new wheildshield gasket this weekend (just in time for rain and snow yesterday) and it is leaking down in the
> lower left corner.  I sat in the car for awhile and with some paper towels deterimined that it is wicking in around the glass.  In other
> words water is running down the front side of the glass, entering between the rubber and glass, making a U turn and spilling out
> on the inside of the car at the rubber/glass interface.  I am positive that the gasket is not leaking at the frame/gasket interface.
>
> 1)  I was wondering if other people have had this problem with new gaskets?
> 2)  If so, did they just RTV it?
> 3)  Have I done something wrong?
>
> Thanks in advance, Craig.
> -------------------------------------
> Craig Woolston
> '70 Sqback and '71 Fastback
> cwoolsto@ladc.lockheed.com

An old installer's trick is to use a leather punch to cut two or three
holes in each corner of the seal, at the bottom of the glass channel.
Any water collecting there can then drain to the outside of the car.

I suggest that you be careful with sealant on the gasket, particularly
between the body and the rubber.  It is best to only do that along the
top and partway down the side pillars.  Please note that VW installed
these parts dry.  Leakage usually points to bad parts, or bad
installation.

Tim Dapper