Re: Hi all! Just a few newbie questions. :)

Welcome!
You can lower the front by either buying lowered spindles (get forged ones,
not the welded) or by adjusting the splines on the lower torsion arms (I
did mine using the Haynes manual).  I have Gas-A-Just shocks up front (use
Type 1 (Bug) shocks, not Type 3 shocks).  Lowering the front will change
your caster (the cars ability to move forward in a straight line) and,
unlike the Bug, is something that can't be fixed at this time.

The rear can be adjusted several ways (maybe I should make a FAQ on this):
1. Adjust the splines on the spring plates.
2. Use air adjustable shocks.
3. Install adjustable spring plates.
4. Use a different tire size.

I went all the way.  I have adjustable spring plates(#3) in a lower
setting(#1)(a mistake of the mechanic, but not a big deal to me) and, as soon as
I get metal fittings (the kit came with plastic fittings), I will reinstall my
air adjustable shocks(#2).  I'm also using low profile tires(#4).  The rear
shocks are currently stock and the air adjustable shocks are stock size.  Since
my drop is mild there isn't the need for smaller shocks in the rear.  Spring
plates came from Sway-Away and air shock kit from JC Whitney.  I called around
for the best price from advertisers in the VW mags.

The drop or rise of your vehicle from stock height will affect the way it
handles and rides.  If you lower the vehicle expect a more firm ride directly
proportional to the amount of drop (people who say it'll destroy your kidneys
are pansies :).  I like a car that handles so I also installed 19mm anti-sway
bars at both ends of my baby (again, JC Whitney).  Any punk 16 year-old with a
drivers permit can outrun me on the straights but on the curves I'm half way up
their butt and screaming, "Get outta my way!!!"

If you're going through generators so fast I would recommend going over your
wiring harness.  My first guess is that there's something grounding out or
something isn't wired properly (possibly the voltage regulator?).  The others on
this list are better on this subject than I.
     Toby Erkson
     air_cooled_nut@pobox.com
     '72 VW Squareback 1.6L modified to 2.0L
     '75 Porsche 914 stock 1.8L