Re: Synthetic oil information needed

>From: Toby Erkson <Toby_Erkson@ccm2.hf.intel.com>

>We have performed other tests which corroborates the Quenchometer data in a
>more pertinent temperature range. A 100 gram block of aluminum was heated
>to 175 deg C (347 deg F) and immersed in 900 grams test oil at 90 deg C
>(194 deg F). The temperature of the aluminum block was plotted versus time.
>At 30 seconds the temperature difference of the block was 24.2 deg C for
>Red Line 20W50 versus 22 deg C for Petroleum 20W50 A and 21 deg C for
>Petroleum 20W50 B. This amounts to a 10% improvement compared to A and a
>15% improvement compared to B. This test is conducted in a more relevant
>temperature range, but since it is not an industry accepted test, it cannot
>be independently confirmed. That is why I chose to use Quenchometer data,
>even though it would provide erroneous data with lower viscosity oils.

While there is usually an advantage to using a standard test, this advantage
is lost if the test is inappropriate.  The test above, while incompletely
described here, could presumably be independently confirmed if the test
conditions were completely described.  While it would probably never be
possible to agree that any test was "the perfect test," this one at least is
done in our range of interest and strikes me as useful.

Thanks for sharing your Red Line dialog with us.

Jim
       jadney@vwtype3.org              jadney@vwtype3.org
                             Laura Kepner-Adney
                             Madison, Wisconsin