Re: Cold Start Systems

>From: parkkj@orion.crd.ge.com (Keith Park)

>The cold start system is switched to come on only when the air is like 5F or
>lower.  Why would anyone disconnect it?  It WONT come on if its too warm.
>The cars may start well without it but it may help a bit too,  Ive never had
>or heard problems of it causing flooding ( at least on the later systems).
>Cycling the key to bring up FP when the car is sitting for a while is a good
>idea but the check valve should hold it for a few hours anyway but note that
>each cycle gives a shot of fuel from the CSI when its cold enough

The trip temp varies from year to year, and it is difficult to get good
specs on the various switches.  I've never had trouble with any of these,
but I don't really know if my car would start without it.  For my climate I
just try to make sure that everything is working properly, because when it
is -20F is no time to be learning that it WAS important.

The Muir comment about just pouring raw gasoline down the engine is a little
odd considering that is no different from what a carburetor or a normal fuel
injector does.  I think Muir had his biases, just like the rest of us, and
part of his was the feeling that anything below freezing was REALLY cold.
Well, unfortunately it is possible to get lots colder than freezing.
Consider the fact that the temperature difference between freezing and a
nice 70F day is only 38 degrees F while the difference between freezing and
a cold start here is more than 50 degrees F!

I keep my CS system working.

>     Disconnecting things haphazardly is something Homer simpson would do
(DOH)!

OTOH, there is always a lot of that going around.

>VW has a reason for everything.

Well, lets not be too defensive of VW.  Remember, they DID come up with that
really STUPID 69 CSI system.

Jim
       jadney@vwtype3.org              jadney@vwtype3.org
                             Laura Kepner-Adney