Cold Start Systems

While we are on the subject of Cold Start Systems I was wondering if anyone else out there has done what Muir suggested and
just disconnected the Cold Start System.  In the Idiot book he says that he sees no reason in injecting raw fuel in through the
intake tubes.  That he has started his VW's without the cold start system in very cold weather with out any problems.

I happen to have taken his advice and on my 2 Type III's ('70 and '71) and have the components installed but the wires
disconnected to the temp sensor (the big round one by the air cleaner, NOT the head or air intake) and the cold start injector.  I
am also missing the small micro switch that is normally mounted above the throttle arm, such that it would be depressed if you
follow the instructions on the dash for starting the car that say to depress the accelerator fully when cranking the engine.

The cars currently operate in S. Ca so really cold weather is not a factor.  What do you folks out in the East do?  I have driven the
car to the mountains in the winter and had no trouble starting the car.  The biggest problem was poor acceleration, but I believe
that to be pressure sensor problems that made the mixture too rich for the thinner air (6000+ feet above S.L)  I now operate the
cars in the high desert where the winter temperature can get to the high teens at night and early morning hours.  And again have
had no trouble starting the car.  (Not that cold by eastern standards either).  I was speculating that the reason for the
cold start injector was that it takes awhile for the system to re prime after it has been sitting for a few hours.  My normal
start procedure is to turn the key on and off 2-3 times before cranking to get the fuel pressure up.  When doing this the car
normally starts immediatly, whereas if I just crank it with no priming it takes several revolutions for the engine to start.

So, with all that in mind what are others out there doing?  Could this be a source of trouble down the road?  Any and all
comments appreciated.
Craig Woolston
'70 Sqback
'71 Fastback