Re[6]: Typical Type III Squareback problems?

My Volkswagen service - repair handbook (Clymer Publications) also mentions
a kit that could (at the time) be purchased from a VW dealer to install a
cold start system on a vehicle that doesn't have one.  Contents:  bracket,
relay, cold start valve, thermostat, wiring harness (i.e. a couple of
wires), end cover plate with jet, and length of hose (for fuel).  The
handbook continues on how to install the kit (which "...you can add one
easily...") and gives an electrical diagram for hooking up the relay as
well as an exploded view diagram (visual to help see how things go
together).  You already have the cold start system and I have some
information on it, so...

Based upon what I see in my Bentley and what is in the handbook, you could
install a late style.  The late style doesn't have the relay and the
electromagnetic cutoff is actually part of the fuel jet (i.e. it performs
like a fuel injector).  What you would do is remove the cover plate from
the front of the intake manifold, drill out the jet that is there and
install the late style cutoff valve.  Two mounting holes would need to be
drilled in the cover plate for the cutoff valve.  Reattach plate.  I think
you would also need to convert to the late style temperature switch.  If
you're determined to make the conversion drop me a line and I can mail you
photo copies of the handbook stuff (*maybe* send a zipped image file).  If
you're not too good with electrical stuff you may want to get some help
from a *good* VW mechanic familiar with FI air cooled engines as converting
to a later style would require a small wiring change.  I'd recommend
dropping Jim a line as he could probably whip this out during a coffee
break and let us all know how to do it... :)

Some data: '68-'69 cold start system kicks in at temps <=5F (-15C);
           '70-'72 cold start system kicks in at temps <=50F (10C).

Hope this helps,
     Toby Erkson
     air_cooled_nut@pobox.com
     '72 VW Squareback 1.6L modified to 2.0L