Re: Re[4]: Typical Type III Squareback problems?

>From: "Becky" <northaven@postoffice.worldnet.att.net>

>> I am searching for the cold start valve for a 1969 Fastback.
>> the Bosch number is 0 257 900 007.  According to the Bosch parts
>> book a 1969 never came with a cold start valve.

>One should also mention that the VW # for the same part is:  311 906 171.

I have an old Henry Elfrink manual that gives the part # for the
modification kit that includes this valve as 311-998-041.

You have given an accurate discription of the early cold start valve.  It
does not resemble the late style in any respect and there would be no easy
way to convert to the late style without replacing the intake air
distributor.  All things considered, the best thing to do would be to block
off the hose coming to your old valve and disable it.  In your climate it
probably never is triggered; your temp switch triggers only below 5F.

If you want it to LOOK stock you might be able block off the fuel line with
a ball bearing poked up the inside of the fuel hose, but it would be better
to weld/solder/braze the fuel tee hose barb closed and then push the hose
over it.

My 68 didn't have the cold start modification and it still started at -30F.
In fact, the earliest cars had the "A" brain which tended to flood in cold
weather. The "B" brain, which the 69s had, cured this problem.

Jim
       jadney@vwtype3.org              jadney@vwtype3.org
                             Laura Kepner-Adney
                             Madison, Wisconsin